Man accused in stabbing slashed wrist — (The Nashua Telegraph)

SSRI Ed note: Young man on antidepressants becomes ssuicidal, attempts suicide, mum throws him out of house, he attacks clerk at convenience store. Faces 7.5 - 15 yrs.

Original article no longer available

The Nashua Telegraph

By KAREN LOVETT, Staff Writer.

Auto parts store manager suffered nonlife-threatening injury

NASHUA – A man accused of stabbing a clerk at Pep Boys auto parts this weekend slashed at his own wrist and held the knife against his neck before police took him into custody, according to court documents.

Antonio Franco, 21, 525 Amherst St. C-26, was arraigned in Nashua District Court on Monday on a charge that he stabbed John Aloise in the back Saturday at the Pep Boys on Amherst Street.

Aloise, the store manager, suffered a serious but nonlife-threatening injury, police said. Franco now faces a felony first-degree assault charge and is scheduled to appear in court again Feb. 4. The two men did not know each other, according to police.

Yolanda Delacruz, Franco’s mother, told police that she’d gotten into an argument with her son Saturday morning about his behavior, court documents said. Delacruz said Franco was suffering from depression and had recently attempted suicide by overdosing on prescription medication.

Delacruz told Franco to leave until he “was ready to improve his life,” According to the documents. Juan Medina, Franco’s younger brother, told police he heard the argument and that his parents had kicked Franco out.

Later that afternoon, police responded to a report of a stabbing at the Pep Boys at 274 Amherst St., which is about a mile and a half away from Franco’s house.

Various witnesses listed in court documents reported hearing cries for help from the back of the auto parts store just before 3:30 p.m.

One witness told police he thought some merchandise had fallen on someone. Then he saw Aloise walking gingerly with a hand on his back, reporting that he’d been stabbed, court documents said.

Antonio Robinson, a store employee, told police several employees helped Aloise to a chair, lifted up his shirt and saw a blood-soaked T-shirt and a stab wound. A sales clerk called 911.

Several witnesses reported seeing Franco as the sole person in the back of the store, kneeling there and moving a knife along his left wrist, court documents said. Employee Todd Munn told police that Franco threatened to cut himself if anyone approached. Another witness told police Franco placed the knife to his neck and said he wanted to kill himself.

Franco then reportedly fled the store, but police detained him shortly after. Officer James Casey said he ordered Franco to drop the knife, which he did. The cut on his wrist was superficial, court documents said.

Franco was held without bail, having refused services by a bail commissioner.

A Class A felony is punishable by 7½ to 15 years in state prison.

Karen Lovett can be reached at 594-6402 or