Man stabbed in chest tells his side of story — (MLIVE)

SSRI Ed note: Woman on antidepressant misses a dose or doses, screams at her estranged boyfriend, stabs him in the chest.

Original article no longer available


Friday, January 20, 2006

By Scott Hagen, — 768-4929

Nichole Kluk told police she wanted to clear some things up with her ex-boyfriend the morning she drove to his house with a steak knife in her coat pocket.

She wanted to talk. He didn’t.

“By the time I figured out what was going on it was too late,” Matthew Hill, 24, testified Thursday in District Court. “She pulled out a knife and stabbed me in the chest.”

She would later tell police she went to see Hill, the father of her child, because she wanted to know if they could patch up their relationship. She also, according to testimony, neglected to take prescribed medication for depression.

Kluk, 23, was bound over to Circuit Court on Thursday on a single count each of attempted murder, assault with intent to do great bodily harm and felonious assault. District Judge Joseph Filip lowered her bond from $250,000 to $5,000 based on the absence of a previous record and her low flight risk.

She will appear for her arraignment in Circuit Judge Chad Schmucker’s court on Feb. 14, Valentine’s Day.

According to testimony from Hill, the pair spent five to six years in a relationship before she moved out in May 2005. Hill and Kluk have a 3-year-old daughter.

Hill testified the relationship was cordial until the morning of Jan. 4, when he got a phone call from Kluk while working third shift at a local manufacturer. He told her he couldn’t talk.

When he went out to the parking lot at 7 a.m., he discovered a smashed frame with a photograph of himself, Kluk and their daughter. He also found an angry note on his car from Kluk, Hill testified.

Hill drove home to his house in the 1100 block of S. Third Street, popped in a movie and received another phone call from Kluk, he testified.

“I was tired of arguing,” he said. “When I hung up I heard banging on the door.”

He opened the door a few inches and Kluk pushed her way inside. She pulled out a knife and stabbed him once, piercing his liver, Hill testified.

“She said, ‘That’s what you get,'” Hill told the court. []

Hill rushed to the bedroom to call 911. He emerged once to find Kluk on her knees, holding the knife to her throat,” he said in court.

“I was telling her, (our daughter) needs you. I told her I loved her,” Hill testified. “She got real mad then. She was screaming real loud. ! She was not acting rationally.”

Jackson Police Officer Matthew Peters testified that he found Kluk in hysterics, curled up in a ball when he arrived at the house minutes later. He forcibly removed the bloody knife from her hand and arrested her.

Hill underwent surgery and spent five days at the University of Michigan Hospital in Ann Arbor. At one point in the testimony he lifted up his white T-shirt to reveal the scars left from the stabbing.

Later at the jail, Kluk admitted to Peters that she left the smashed picture near Hill’s car and later went to his house and stabbed him, Peters testified.

Peters recalled in court that Kluk told him she went to the house with the knife for the purposes of soliciting some kind of emotional response.

“She stated she had not taken her medication and suffered from bouts of depression,” Peters testified.

The Kluk family declined to comment on the matter.