Standoff ends with psychiatric commitment — (Lehigh Valley Express Times)

SSRI Ed note: Man's reaction to alcohol and antidepressants results in psychiatric commitment.

Original article no longer available

Lehigh Valley Express Times

Friday, March 07, 2003

 By NICK FALSONE, The Express-Times

 BETHLEHEM — A 36-year-old city man suffering from depression and armed with guns barricaded himself in his home early Thursday morning, authorities said.
Officers heard the man fire a gunshot inside the home, prompting a brief standoff, authorities said. The standoff ended peacefully and no one was hurt.

Scott Olexa of the 1700 block of Jefferson Avenue was taken into custody outside his home and transported by ambulance to Lehigh Valley Hospital-Muhlenberg in the city, authorities said.
He was placed in the care of the hospital under an involuntary psychiatric commitment signed by his psychiatrist. No charges have been filed against him.
Officers recovered a handgun, a rifle, an air pistol and ammunition after the standoff ended, according to an incident report. They also recovered a spent bullet casing, and discovered a bullet hole in the stairway of the home, apparently caused by the gunshot he had earlier fired, according to the report.
The report gave the following account of what happened:
Olexa had threatened to kill his parents earlier that night. His parents contacted his psychiatrist about the threat. The psychiatrist advised them to call authorities. They did.
Patrol officers went out to the home shortly after 12:30 a.m. The officers got no response when they knocked on the door. However, they could see him inside the home from a window. They heard him screaming, and they later heard what sounded like a gunshot.
After hearing the gunshot, the patrol officers cleared away from the home and called in the city’s emergency response team to handle the situation. After the emergency response team arrived, Olexa was contacted by a cellular phone.
Shortly after 2 a.m., Olexa came out of the home holding a handgun and wearing a trench coat and no shoes. He placed the handgun on the sidewalk, and surrendered.
Police said no one else was in the home during the episode.
Olexa’s parents reported to police that Olexa had been suffering from depression. He was on medication for the depression, and had been drinking alcohol earlier that night, his parents reported. In addition to the threats, he also made suicidal remarks, his parents reported.
Reporter Nick Falsone can be reached at 610-867-5000 or by e-mail at

Scott Olexa died in Feb, 2011 at the age of 44.

To view original obituary click here

Scott J. Olexa Obituary

Scott J. Olexa, 44, of Bethlehem, died on Tuesday, February 15, 2011. Born: He was born December 8, 1966 in Bethlehem, a son of James C. and Paula A. Olexa of Bethlehem. Personal: Scott was a 1985 graduate of Bethlehem Catholic High School and earned his Bachelors Degree from DeSales University.