Burnley overdose mum's 'cry for help' — (Burnley and Pendle Citizen)

To view original article click here

First posted on Antidepaware

The Burnley and Pendle Citizen

10:52am Wednesday 18th December 2013 in News

By Chris Adams

A MUM died after overdosing on a week’s worth of prescription drugs in one afternoon, an inquest heard.

Lindsey Thorne, 29, was killed by the combination of seven different tablets after a disagreement with her partner Jimmy Moore.

Ms Thorne’s condition was said to have ‘deteriorated rapidly’ when she took the overdose after a fall-out over the future of the couple’s relationship. A toxicology report found ‘significant levels’ of imipramine, an anti-depressant, propranolol, a beta blocker, metformin, which treats diabetes, and quetiapine, an anti-psychotic in her blood.

East Lancashire coroner Richard Taylor also told Burnley Coroner’s Court yesterday that pathologist Dr Abdul Al-Dawoud found low levels of tramadol, taken for pain relief, zopiclone, a sleeping tablet, and ‘possibly opiates’.

Mr Moore, who did not attend the inquest, said in a statement that the couple, who had been together for two years, had been discussing their future at their home in Colne Road, Kelbrook.

He said: “We weren’t getting out of the house. It had gone stale. We had a similar discussion at Christmas in 2012.

“I was depressed too and worried about our mental health. I said I loved her but that a break would do us good.”

He added: “It felt as if she was trying to avoid me. I would go upstairs to see her and she would go downstairs and take tablets when I couldn’t see her.

“I saw her sat watching TV and thought she looked drunk, but knew she couldn’t have been as we didn’t have any alcohol.

“She called the ambulance herself and said she’d taken a week’s worth of tablets.”

Mr Moore said he dialled 999 again at around 4pm before the ambulance arrived after Ms Thorne became more ill.

The mum-of-one died in Airedale General Hospital, near Keighley, West Yorkshire, later that night.

Ms Thorne’s 14-year-old daughter, Bethany, is being cared for by her grandmother, Penny Collier.

In a statement, Dr Abdul Al-Dawoud said: “In the absence of a pathological explanation, combined drug toxicity offers a highly-probable cause of death.”

He added that the levels of metformin alone were consistent with previous fatalities recorded in connection with the use of that drug.

Ms Thorne’s uncle, Darren Russell, said: “She wanted to frighten him [Mr Moore]. She hadn’t gauged how strong the tablets were.”

Mr Taylor called Ms Thorne’s overdose ‘a cry for help’, to which her family nodded in agreement in the court room.

In reaching a narrative conclusion, Mr Taylor said there was no evidence to suggest Ms Thorne had deliberately tried to take her own life.

He said: “Whilst suffering from depression, Lindsey Sheila Thorne ingested a fatal quantity of her prescribed medication.”

Paying tribute to Ms Thorne on Facebook, Mr Moore said: “You will always be my number one lady, my soulmate, lover and best friend. Goodbye for now my darling.”