Chico State student death ruled accidental overdose — (ChicoER News)

To view original article click here

ChicoER News

CHICO — A Chico State student found dead in her home last month had alcohol, Prozac and morphine in her system, the Butte County coroner confirmed today.

The death of Carly Callaghan, a 22-year-old graphic design major, has been ruled an accidental overdose and the case has been closed, said Lt. Al Smith.

The evening of Sept. 16, a roommate found Callaghan lying on the floor of her room, not breathing, and called 9-1-1. She was dead when medical help arrived.

She had been diagnosed with bronchitis at the Student Health Center two days earlier. Autopsy results showed nothing remarkable about her lungs, Smith said.

Callaghan’s urine alcohol level was .14 percent and the morphine level was .11 milliliters per liter. While oxycodone and Vicodin overdoses are not unusual, morphine is seen far less often, Smith said.

“It’s hard to get ahold of, for one thing,” he said.

Callaghan, who is from San Anselmo, came to Chico State in the fall of 2008. She was interested in art photography, fashion and yoga, according to a university statement.

“I found her to be a very creative and fun-loving individual, definitely with her own great sense of style,” professor Tom Welsh, chairman of the Department of Communication Design, was quoted in the statement.