Clyde Auditorium death: Security guard says he killed Thai woman but denies murder — (Daily Record)

SSRI Ed note: Security guard in withdrawal from A/D bludgeons woman to death in toilet with fire extinguisher, cannot recall, blames mental illness. Found guilty.

To view original article click here

Daily Record

By Wilma Riley

KHANOKPORM Satjawat was bludgeoned to death by a fire extinguisher in a toilet of the Clyde Auditorium where she was attending a conference.

AN SECC security guard accused of murdering a conference delegate told the jury yesterday: “I killed her.”

But Clive Carter said he had no memory of bludgeoning his Thai victim to death with a fire extinguisher in a ladies’ toilet.

He said he recalled having a heated argument with Khanokporm Satjawat over her security pass. And later – after speaking to psychiatrists and psychologists – he had remembered that he heard the words “die, just die” in his head during the row.

But Carter insisted he remembered nothing of the attack itself. He said the next thing he recalled was sitting downstairs in the staff room, eating his sandwiches.

The father of three, from Motherwell, denies murder and claims diminished responsibility.

Carter told his defence counsel, Ian Duguid QC, he found Khanokporm on the fire escape stairs at the SECC Clyde Auditorium in Glasgow during an HIV conference last November.

He said he asked to see her pass but she got angry and kept asking him why, which made him “angry, frustrated and annoyed”.

Mr Duguid asked: “Your emotions at the time were that she should just die. Is that correct?”

Carter replied: “Yes.”

He added: “When I was asked about the incident by psychiatrists and psychologists, I remembered the argument and I remember saying, ‘die, just die’ in my head. I didn’t say it.”

Carter was on his lunch break after the killing when he was told there had been an incident in the toilets.

He went to the scene and saw Khanokporm dead. The sight left him “shocked, dizzy and mortified”.

Khanokporm was hit on the head with a fire extinguisher while prone in a cubicle. Her skull and all the bones in the left side of her face were smashed.

Carter denied hiding his bloodstained blazer and trying to wash blood off the extinguisher. He also denied he was fascinated by fire extinguishers.

He told Mr Duguid he hated himself over the killing, and added: “In my own head, there’s no possible reason for what I did.”

The court heard Carter had been prescribed anti-depressants at the time, but was not taking them. He was also having anger management counselling.

Carter said he had smashed kitchen equipment, a TV, a window and a computer in rages at his home. He added: “It’s like my head being squeezed, pressure, then me exploding. Afterwards I’m calm. There’s no anger left.”

Carter said he never remembered these incidents. He also admitted hitting his wife, Paula.

He says he worked 24 hours in two days before the attack and only had two-and-a-half hours sleep before his shift.

The trial at the High Court in Glasgow continues.


To view original article click here

G4S security guard found guilty of killing conference delegate by bludgeoning her to death with a fire extinguisher — (Daily Record)

Wilma Riley

SECURITY guard Clive Carter was today jailed for at least 20 years for the brutal murder of a conference delegate.

Carter, a father-of-three, was  sentenced to life imprisonment by judge Lord Matthews and told he must serve a minimum of 20 years  before being eligible for parole.

Jailing Carter Lord Matthews said: “Khanokporn Satjawat  was a hard-working , well-educated and dedicated lady who came to this country to participate in a conference whose purpose was the alleviation of suffering and the saving of lives.

“It is cruelly ironic that in the course of such an event of that  the life of that fragile lady should be taken in such a brutal fashion with an instrument whose primary purpose is also the saving of life and the hands of a man to whom she should have been able to look for assistance.”

Clive Carter , 35, from Motherwell, smashed 42-year-old Khanokporn Satjawat repeatedly over the head and face with a fire extinguisher in a  rage because she complained about him checking her security pass.

Every bone on the left side of her  face and neck were broken and her skull was shattered into pieces. She died from blunt force trauma.

Miss Satjawat also had defensive injuries to her left hand caused by tried to fend off blows from Carter.

Her watch was found  beside her bloodied body. It was  smashed and had stopped at a couple of minutes past 2pm.

The murderer snapped after Miss Satjawat became annoyed when he demanded to see her ID, and claimed she was abusive to him.

The defenceless delegate was killed by the man prosecutor John Scullion described as “being  paid to ensure she was safe.” 

Carter admitted killing  Miss Satjawat, but denied murder, claiming he had no memory of the incident. He said his next memory was of eating sandwiches for his lunch.

His lawyers, who urged the jury to find him guilty of culpable homicide, also claimed he had a personality disorder which diminished his ability to control his actions

G4S security guard found guilty of killing conference delegate by bludgeoning her to death with a fire extinguisher – Daily Record

But, jurors at the High Court in Glasgow rejected his excuses and found him guilty of murder after three hours and ten minutes of deliberation.

Carter was also  found guilty of orchestrating a cover-up after the murder by washing blood of the fire extinguisher, hiding his bloodstained blazer and telling police he had seen a mystery Asian man carrying an extinguished in the aftermath of the killing.

He was also convicted of committing a breach of the peace at the Holiday Inn Express, Stockwell Street,  Glasgow, in November 4, 2012, by knocking on the door of Stephanie O’Brien’s room while carrying a fire extinguisher and claiming there had been a report of a fire.

The jury of  eight men and seven women heard that Carter had major issues with anger management. His GP sent him to counselling, but he quit after two sessions because the counsellor annoyed him.

One of Carter’s defence team solicitor advocate John Paul Moberry said: “Given the verdict of the jury there is very little I can say. Mr Carter approached this trial with the position that the dead of of this lady was caused at his hand.

“There has been evidence before the court of Mr Carter’s medical state  and there is nothing  to add. Mr Carter has no relevant previous convictions and he has never been in prison before.”

Before sentencing Carter , Lord Matthews went off the bench to consider victim impact statements from Miss Satjawat’s sister and Stephanie O’Brien the woman he terrified in a hotel room eight days before the murder.

Detective Superintendent John McDonald, Police Scotland said: “We are satisfied that Clive Carter has been brought to justice for the murder of Khanokporn Satjawat. This was a particularly brutal and senseless attack which claimed the life of an innocent woman and caused fear and alarm to those who were attending the conference at the SECC last November.”

“We would like to thank the management at the SECC and those who assisted in the inquiry who helped to bring this case to a satisfactory conclusion. We would also like to reassure the public  that cases of this nature are extremely rare.??

“We sincerely hope that this verdict will bring some comfort to the relatives of Miss Satjawat.”