Family’s fears over release of notorious double killer — (Milton Keynes Citizen)

SSRI Ed note: In a "frenzied and motiveless attack", man, 23, stabs pub companion 31 times, murders her son. Family protest his release 7 years later.

To view original article click here

Milton Keynes Citizen

Published 9:22 23 August 2011

DOUBLE killer Greg Davies has been deemed harmless enough to be released into the community – just seven years after he stabbed a woman 31 times and disembowelled her teenage son.

The 30-year-old’s lawyers have convinced health experts his bloodbath killings were a bad reaction to anti depressant pills – and insist he is now cured. And despite a citywide protest, the 30-year-old former Great Linford art student has been granted a conditional discharge to leave his secure mental health prison.

Now furious family members of his victims are urging the authorities to think again. Fred Rogers said: “We are appalled. How can a psychopathic double killer suddenly be ‘cured’ and safe enough to return to society after just seven years?” Fred’s mother Dorothy, who drank with Davies in the local pub, was the first victim. In a frenzied and motiveless attack, the student barged into the 48-year-old’s Stantonbury home in January 2003 and butchered her with a kitchen knife.

He then chased her terrified 19-year-old son Michael – Fred’s younger brother – out to a nearby children’s playground, where he stabbed and disembowelled him.

Later a court heard Davies had plotted the killings in his diary, where he also revealed his ambition to be a serial killer.

In court he pleaded guilty to manslaughter due to diminished responsibility. After hearing the bloodbath killings happened during a ‘psychotic episode’, the judge ordered he be detained indefinitely in a secure mental hospital.

But within months of being locked up he recruited a human rights lawyer on legal aid to start battling for his release, claiming the psychosis was caused by a reaction to medication he had been taking for depression.

Two years ago he was moved to a lower security hospital in Oxford and allowed unsupervised outings.