Man, 33, died on friend's sofa after drinking and medication — (Maidenhead Advertiser)

To view original article click here

Maidenhead Advertiser

16:39 Wednesday 10 November 2010

A man suffering from alcohol dependency died on a friend’s sofa the day after boozing and taking prescription medication.

The coroner recorded an open verdict today after Brodie Maclean, 33, was found dead on Friday, August 20.

At the inquest in Maidenhead Town Hall, Berkshire coroner Peter Bedford heard how Brodie met a friend in Maidenhead on Thursday, August 19 at about 2-3pm. He gave his friend a valium tablet and ‘took a couple’ himself.

The friends spent the afternoon drinking beer and lager before going to the Boulters Lock pub where they had five pints and the Crown Pub to have another pint. By 9pm Brodie was described as ‘being in a bit of a state’ and witness Amanda Risk, of St Chad’s Road, told how she came to the Crown with her partner to meet him.

She agreed to put him up for the night and said: “We had to carry him home because he was unable to walk himself – I assumed this was because of the amount he had drunk.”

They laid him on the sofa and slept downstairs to keep an eye on him. When Amanda woke at 7am she assumed he was still sleeping, but when her partner rose at 9am and tried to wake him he was unresponsive. The paramedics who attended said there were no signs of life.

A toxicology report showed his blood alcohol level to be over the drink-drive level, but not excessive, and medication, including valium, painkillers and anti-depressants, were found but in levels in line with a prescription.

The father-of-one had seen his GP regularly since 2002 for help with alcohol dependency and complained of anxiety and panic attacks.

A friend at the inquest said: “He knew everyone from all walks of life and he had time for everyone.”