Man charged with driving while intoxicated; he took dog’s drug — (Globe Gazette)

To view original article click here

Mason City Globe Gazette

May 30, 2008 12:00 am

DES MOINES (AP) — A Des Moines man who was arrested for driving while intoxicated apparently took his dog’s pills by mistake.

Authorities say that Clarence Fenton had phenobarbital in his system when he crashed his sport utility vehicle into a utility pole last November. It took several months for the results of the blood tests that showed the drug in Fenton’s system.

Police say they found a bottle of pills prescribed for “Saturn” at the scene. They say Fenton admitted taking pills and that “Saturn” is his dog.

Phenobarbital is a drug used to control seizures in people and pets.

Fenton appeared in court on Thursday.

He says he didn’t remember taking the pills but did take a newly prescribed antidepressant the day of the crash.

Officials with the Iowa Statewide Poison Control Center say people taking their pet’s medicine by mistake is more common that one might think. They say the center has taken about three similar calls this year.