Original article no longer available
Niagara Falls Review
KARENA WALTER / Osprey News Network
Local News – Wednesday, May 16, 2007 @ 02:00
The possibility other prisoners will attack a man accused of running down a Welland teen with a SUV prompted a lawyer to ask his client be transferred out of Niagara Tuesday.
Oakville lawyer Jonathan Marler told a justice of the peace there is “grave concern” for Giuseppe Gandolfo’s safety at the Niagara Detention Centre because relatives of the deceased victim are in custody there.
Gandolfo of Oakville was arraigned Tuesday afternoon.
Gandolfo faces a charge of first-degree murder in the death of 17-year-old Tiffany Bottenfield.
“The uncle has already been heard to be making threats,” Marler said in St. Catharines bail court, requesting his 20-year-old client be transferred to Hamilton’s detention facility.
Justice of the Peace Richard Bisson said he didn’t have jurisdiction and Correctional Services would have to make that decision.
Gandolfo was also charged with the attempted murder of Michael Coulthurst, who was walking with Bottenfield on Rosewood Avenue Monday when she was struck by an SUV.
Standing in the prisoner’s box in a white one-piece suit issued to prisoners when police seize their clothing, Gandolfo was asked if he understood the two charges.
“I understand them, but I’m not agreeing with them,” Gandolfo told Bisson.
The court was told Gandolfo has been under psychiatric care all his life and requires anti-depressant medications while in jail.
He’ll appear in court via a video link today.
Gandolfo was told not to contact anyone from the victims’ families. Outside court, Marler said Gandolfo lives at home in Oakville with his parents and is an only child.
“His parents are very worried about him,” Marler said.
He said he didn’t know why his client had been in Welland, who he was with or what he was doing there.
A second suspect remains at large. Police believe that man, thought to be about 20 years old, is also from the Oakville area.