Parents may never know how son died — (Cyprus Mail)

SSRI Ed note: Healthy, fit Brit on holiday in Cyprus, taking antidepressant, inexplicably dies of dehydration on walk, 4 miles from hotel.

Original article no longer available

Cyprus Mail

By Alexia Saoulli

THE HEARTBROKEN parents of a British holidaymaker who mysteriously died in Ayia Napa last year may never know exactly what happened to their son, police said yesterday.

“Unfortunately you cannot always know precisely what happened. When the state pathologist rules that no crime has been committed there is nothing more we can do. When the report states cause of death was natural causes then we cannot go beyond that and do his job for him,” Famagusta district police officer George Economou said.

Economou, who is responsible for all police stations within the district, was referring to the remains of David Grimason, 38, who was found in a wooded area near Cavo Greco several days after being reported missing last July.

This week his parents have demanded answers about his death as they feel ‘natural causes’ is too vague an explanation. Their MP is also taking their case to Westminster’s All-Party Cypriot Group, which is made up of British politicians who meet with their counterparts in Cyprus, according to the Paisley Daily Express.

Grimason was found naked on his back on a large rock in state of severe decomposition. An autopsy at the time ruled out both suicide and murder.

“He had apparently said he was going for a walk and then was reported missing,” Economou said.

He said the state pathologist had found no external injuries to suggest foul play. The place where Grimason was found was also only several kilometres from his hotel.

“It wasn’t as if he was staying in Ayia Napa and he was found in Paralimni. He was found at a spot that he could easily have ended up in as part of his walk,” he said.

To explain the nudity, investigators believe that it is possible the 38-year-old, who is said to have been suffering from depression and was on medication, became dehydrated in the hot summer sun and became disoriented.

“He maybe then started removing his clothes to try and cool down,” Economou said.

This theory was based on the fact that the father-of-one’s mobile phone, watch and other personal items were found near his body, he added.

The Paisley Daily Express said the items had never been returned to Grimason’s parents.

Economou said the police had tried to give the items to the British High Commission but that it was against the latter’s policy to accept anything other than the deceased’s passport and they had been returned to the local authorities.

“The items are at Paralimni police station and no one has ever come to ask for them. If a lawyer authorised to act on behalf of the family comes and asks for them we will hand them over. They must do it soon though because items that are not claimed are often auctioned off,” he said.

After Grimason’s remains were identified through DNA testing they were sent home for burial, the officer added.

Nevertheless the 38-year-old’s father told the Express: “We need to find out what happened to him – it is that simple. A year is a long time to have to go through something like this and any parent would want answers.”

A spokesman for the British High Commission in Nicosia has said they will do everything in their power to help the Grimason family get answers.
Copyright © Cyprus Mail 2008