SSRI Ed note: Man given antidepressants after motorcycle accident, he becomes depressed, meds don't help, he attempts suicide several times, then succeeds.

Original article no longer available

The Scunthorpe Telegraph

09:45 10 December 2007

A Man who had made several attempts to take his own life died by hanging himself from a bridge.

Matthew Stephen North (42), of Woodbine Avenue, Brigg, was found by police divers in the River Ancholme on June 1. He had hanged himself from Cadney Bridge.

At an inquest, at Pittwood House, North Lincolnshire coroner Paul Kelly said Mr North had made previous attempts on his life and had been to the Humber Bridge on more than one occasion with the intention of jumping off.

Mr North, who worked for Clark Construction and East Coast Surfacing, was taking anti-depressants and had been under the care of community mental health nurses at the time.

His nurses had visited him two days before his death.

Mr North’s elder brother Mark, giving evidence at the inquest, said Matthew had attended Glebe Road School and went on to further education at Vale of Ancholme College.

Matthew North’s favourite hobby was motor-cross racing and he would often go to the Doncaster circuit to race.

Mr North said his brother’s problems with depression began after a bad motorbike accident that left him out of work for 18 months.

Mark North said: “He had a really bad smash and tore his back when he landed, with a lot of nerve damage and discs out of place.

“It all seemed to stem from that, because he was immobile. He was a good, hard-working lad and it was just towards the later part of his life, this depression.

“He just got worse and worse and the medication was not helping.

“He told me that he felt a lot calmer with the medication but it was not taking away the demons in his head.”

He said his brother had seemed anxious in the days before his death.

Pc Simon Moody told the court Mr North’s mother gave him a statement that, on the day of his death, she heard his car engine start at 6am.

She went downstairs to see what was happening, when Mr North told his mother he was going to kill himself and drove away.

That was the last time she saw him.

Recording a verdict of suicide, Mr Kelly said: “My condolences are with you and your family on the loss of Matthew in such sad circumstances and at such a young age.”