Man strangled former girlfriend — (BBC News)

SSRI Ed note: Man prescribed antidepressants for split with girlfriend murders her, attempts suicide.

To view original article click here

BBC News

Page last updated at 15:08 GMT, Monday, 29 June 2009 16:08 UK

Gemma Sisley was found dead at an address in Broughton

A man suffocated and strangled his ex-girlfriend after she ended their relationship, a court has heard.

Jason Burrows, 34, of Broughton, Milton Keynes, has admitted the manslaughter of Gemma Sisley but denies her murder.

Jurors at Luton Crown Court were told Mr Burrows killed Ms Sisley, 22, of Buckinghamshire, when she tried to collect her belongings.

The prosecution allege he intended to commit murder and carried out a “determined attack” in October 2008.

Prosecutor Amjad Malik said Mr Burrows was angry and killed Ms Sisley in his bedroom when she came to collect her belongings.

He put toilet paper down her throat to gag her and to stop others in the house from hearing her screams, said Mr Malik.

‘Drunk and aggressive’

Her neck was compressed, possibly by being held in an arm-lock, and her body was wedged between the mattress and wooden side of his bed, the court heard.

“The prosecution say he intended to asphyxiate her because of the anger he had towards her because she had left him,” said Mr Malik.

“He intended to kill her and carried out a sustained and determined attack on her.”

Ms Sisley, of Newport Pagnell, ended the relationship while they were on holiday together in Blackpool.

She described in her diary how he got drunk and aggressive and said he wanted to throw her out of a window.

Two days after the split, Mr Burrows was given anti-depressants and later took an overdose of other tablets.

The court heard he then twice tried to commit suicide by walking on to the M1 motorway, on the first occasion, soon after Ms Sisley’s death on 15 October 2008.

Police were called and officers checked Mr Burrows’ home, where they found Ms Sisley’s body.

He was struck by a lorry on the M1 the next day and later, in police custody, told a doctor he had killed his ex-partner because she was having an affair.

The trial continues.