Grandson killed woman, police say — (The Star)

SSRI Ed note: "Gentle" man, 40, on antidepressants and pain meds, kills his grandmother with "multiple sharp and blunt force trauma" wounds."

Original article no longer available

The Star

Jun. 18, 2004. 06:26 AM


Grandmother, 83, died last month
Wanted man found dead in motel room
York Region police have confirmed that a well-known Newmarket senior found dead in her home last month was murdered by her grandson, whose body was found in a Niagara Region motel Wednesday.
York police Chief Armand La Barge said Violet Jeanne Gould, 83, was killed by her grandson, Michael Norris, 40, of Bancroft following a “family dispute.”
“We are breathing a collective sigh of relief that this was not some stranger who came into our community and murdered one of our citizens,” La Barge said yesterday.
He said he wished to extend “our deepest sympathies” to the Gould and Norris families, both of whom are dealing with “great tragedies.”
At first it had been feared that the woman, a well-known local artist, might have been the victim of an unknown intruder who may have attended a yard sale at her home the weekend before she was found dead.
An autopsy showed the woman died from “multiple sharp and blunt force trauma” wounds.
Detective Sergeant Les Young said investigators began a process of eliminating suspects after the woman’s body was found by her real estate agent on the morning of May 18.
He said police determined Norris was the person responsible for Gould’s death through “interviews, background checks and forensic evidence.”
On Monday, they issued a first-degree murder warrant for the arrest for the woman’s grandson.
After police were unable to locate Norris, they issued a public appeal Wednesday for help in locating him.
They warned that he might be armed and should be considered dangerous.
The same day, they asked Niagara Region police to check motels and hotels in their region for the man’s 1997 Toyota Camry. The car was found in the parking lot of a St. Catharines-area motel, and Norris’ body was found inside one of the rooms. Police said he died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound but have not established a time of death.
Relatives and friends in Bancroft called Norris a “gentle man” who had been having problems with medication for depression and a shoulder condition.