Family’s fears over release of notorious double killer — (Milton Keyes Citizen)

To view original article click here

Milton Keyes Citizen

Published on Tuesday 23 August 2011 03:22

DOUBLE killer Greg Davies has been deemed harmless enough to be released into the community – just seven years after he stabbed a woman 31 times and disembowelled her teenage son.

The 30-year-old’s lawyers have convinced health experts his bloodbath killings were a bad reaction to anti depressant pills – and insist he is now cured. And despite a citywide protest, the 30-year-old former Great Linford art student has been granted a conditional discharge to leave his secure mental health prison.

Now furious family members of his victims are urging the authorities to think again. Fred Rogers said: “We are appalled. How can a psychopathic double killer suddenly be ‘cured’ and safe enough to return to society after just seven years?” Fred’s mother Dorothy, who drank with Davies in the local pub, was the first victim. In a frenzied and motiveless attack, the student barged into the 48-year-old’s Stantonbury home in January 2003 and butchered her with a kitchen knife.

He then chased her terrified 19-year-old son Michael – Fred’s younger brother – out to a nearby children’s playground, where he stabbed and disembowelled him.

Later a court heard Davies had plotted the killings in his diary, where he also revealed his ambition to be a serial killer.

In court he pleaded guilty to manslaughter due to diminished responsibility. After hearing the bloodbath killings happened during a ‘psychotic episode’, the judge ordered he be detained indefinitely in a secure mental hospital.

But within months of being locked up he recruited a human rights lawyer on legal aid to start battling for his release, claiming the psychosis was caused by a reaction to medication he had been taking for depression,

Two years ago he was moved to a lower security hospital in Oxford and allowed unsupervised outings.

Members of the Rogers family, who fought with the authorities to make Milton Keynes an official exclusion zone for Davies, were sickened to learn he was allowed out regularly to visit his parents at their Great Linford home.

Said Fred: ‘We’re told he won’t be allowed in Milton Keynes after his release but, while his father and sister still live there, we have no faith in this exclusion zone. Many people who knew my mother and my brother will still be terrified.

“Even if the experts believe he is miraculously ‘cured’, he should be transferred to a normal prison to serve the rest of his sentence. He should not be living next door to ordinary people.

“What makes it even worse is the authorities did not even warn us the decision had been made this month – we only found out last week when we happened to make an enquiry.”

Earlier this year, just before a similar Mental Health Tribunal was adjourned, hundreds of people staged a CMK sit-in to campaign against Davies’ release. Hundreds more joined a Facebook group called ‘We are against a brutal double murderer being released into the community’. Davies is this week still in the Oxford hospital while the authorities agree funding for supported housing with 2SSRI Editor-hour a day staffing.

A MAPPA – multi agency public protection meeting – has been organised on Thursday for the details to be confirmed.