Man shoots self in leg at golf course — (Courier & Press)

SSRI Ed note: Man on antidepressants steals golf cart, shoots up green and his own leg.

Original article no longer available

Courier & Press

By JOE ATKINSON, Courier & Press staff writer 464-7450 or

October 16, 2003

A Boonville, Ind., man remained in recovery Wednesday after shooting himself in the leg on Victoria National Golf Course, officials reported. The 21-year-old man, who police refused to identify during their investigation, is believed to have fired the shots between midnight Saturday and 7 a.m. Sunday. He also allegedly stole a golf cart, and shot one of the greens multiple times.
“We got a call about (the golf cart), and a deputy went to investigate it,” said Warrick County Sheriff Marvin Heilman. “Apparently, someone at the golf course stole a golf cart and wrecked it against a tree, (and) they found several areas of one of the greens had been damaged by gunshots.” On the green, deputies also found erratic tracks from a golf cart and shells from several different guns. All of those guns – a shotgun and three handguns, a .357 Magnum, a 9mm and a .22-caliber – allegedly belonged to the shooter’s family, Heilman said. All were purchased legally.

“Shortly after (that run), the sheriff’s office received a call from St. Mary’s, where a subject was being treated for multiple gunshot wounds to his legs,” Heilman said. “There is some reason to believe from the investigation that those wounds were self-inflicted.”

Deputies believe that, as he shot up the green, the suspect also put three shots into his leg, Heilman said. He then made his way home, where his mother drove him to the hospital, officials said.
She later told investigators her son had been taking medication for depression, which may have contributed to Sunday’s incident.
“This is probably more of a psychological thing than a criminal intent,” Heilman said. “He has been admitted for a mental evaluation.” The results of that evaluation were not yet known, Heilman said. He also did not know if charges would be filed in the incident – another factor in his decision not to release the suspect’s name. The case file has not been sent to the prosecutor, Heilman said. Investigators want to talk more with the suspect, who remained at St. Mary’s Medical Center on Wednesday, and then would forward the case to Warrick County Prosecutor Todd Corne. It then will be Corne’s decision whether or not to press charges, Heilman said.