Man swallowed 200 tablets
by ANDY DONE-JOHNSON
AN ASHBY man was found slumped over the sink at his home after swallowing more than 200 tablets, an inquest has heard.
Geoffrey Robinson was discovered by his ex-partner, Carol Wiggins, after she saw him earlier in the day and they spoke on the telephone.
The 52-year-old, of Marlborough Way, had appeared fine when Ms Wiggins called in to see him in the morning, the inquest at Burton Town Hall was told on Wednesday.
But when she spoke to Mr Robinson on the phone at lunchtime, he told her that he had been drinking.
"I thought this was really odd because he hadn't had a drink in 20 years," Ms Wiggins, of Malvern Crescent, told the inquest.
"When I got to the house in the afternoon, I found Geoffrey slumped over the sink. I asked him what he was doing and he replied that he had taken tablets.
"He had left me a letter saying farewell but I still don't know why he did it – he had seemed fine earlier in the day."
Mr Robinson, who had not worked since 1991, suffered from arthritis and had a long history of depression, was taken to Burton's Queen's Hospital, where he died of respiratory failure three weeks later on October 8.
He had taken an overdose of tablets once before, following an argument with Ms Wiggins, prior to their separation, but this had been an attention seeking exercise, the inquest heard.
But during his second suicide attempt, Mr Robinson had swallowed 112 codeine tablets and 106 anti-depressants.
His cause of death was stated as multi-organ failure, pneumonia and codeine overdose caused by depression.
Reaching a verdict of suicide, South Staffordshire Coroner Andrew Haigh said: "I am satisfied that he intended to kill himself, and that is exactly what he has done.
"He was rushed to hospital, where staff did their best to save him, but by that stage the damage had been done."