To view original article click here
San Antonio Express
Tuesday, December 7, 1993
Author: Jim Price, Express-News Staff Writer
A federal magistrate Monday found “probable cause” that a 51-year-old San Antonio man held his supervisor as a hostage last week at Fort Sam Houston.
Judge Robert B. O’Connor ordered Paul E. Mosman held without bond until further notice.
He also ordered that the father of seven, including six still living at home, undergo a psychiatric examination.
O’Connor set a competency hearing for Mosman at 2 p.m. next Monday.
Mosman was charged Wednesday, shortly after the 3-1/2-hour hostage siege ended peacefully, with assault with a dangerous weapon and use of a firearm in a crime of violence.
At that time, he told U.S. Magistrate John W. Primomo he was taking medication for manic depression and had short memory losses.
Mosman, who was scheduled to be terminated from his job Friday, is accused of threatening the life of his supervisor, Diana Carrauthers, 36, chief of the Troop Issue Subsistence Activity.
Mosman was a material handler at the activity’s food-issuance facility, Army officials said.
During the 30-minute hearing before O’Connor, FBI Special Agent Frank Montoya testified that, as the event began, Mosman threatened to blow off Carrauthers’ head with the two handguns he had.
Later during the standoff, Mosman made only two demands, Montoya said. He wanted one or two soft drinks and to surrender to an FBI agent, Montoya said.
“Eventually he traded a bullet for those soft drinks,” Montoya testified.
Later he surrendered to the Army post’s Special Reactions Team, Montoya said.
Carrauthers was not physically hurt during the incident, Montoya said.
Montoya was the lone witness in the hearing.
Record Number: 131265
Copyright 1993, 2002 San Antonio Express-News