Mom says hospital let suicidal son go — (New York Daily News)

SSRI Ed note: Man hospitalized for depression, on medication is paranoid, attempts suicide, stops taking the meds, is let out, jumps from roof.

lTo view original article click here  

New York Daily News

Emilia Makarova and her daughter Anna Satalkina say doctors at Montefiore Medical Center should not have let Vladimir Makarov out of the hospital.
(Ken Goldfield for News)
The grieving mother of a mentally ill Bronx man who killed himself in 2009 is suing Montefiore Medical Center for letting him leave the hospital’s psychiatric unit despite signs he was suicidal.

Days after he was released, Vladimir Makarov – a 30-year-old suffering from depression and paranoia – jumped to his death from a 24-story building in Co-op City.

Makarov’s doctors should have kept him at Montefiore against his will, but failed to complete the necessary paperwork, according to the malpractice lawsuit filed July 8. The compensation sought by Makarov’s family has not been determined.

“He was very depressed and needed help,” said his sister, Anna Satalkina, 25. “He absolutely shouldn’t have been released.”

Makarov’s doctors released him despite suicide warning signs, according to his mother’s lawyer, Keith Sullivan of the firm Sullivan and Galleshaw.

Montefiore declined comment. “Since there is threatened litigation, it is inappropriate for us to respond,” said spokesman Steve Osborne.

Five days before his discharge, Makarov told doctors, “I lack the will to live. I feel nothing,” Sullivan said. Then the immigrant from Belarus stopped taking his medication.

“He went to Montefiore because he was a troubled man. He needed expert treatment, but he got sub-par, Third World care,” said Sulllivan.

Makarov checked into Montefiore on Oct. 29, 2009, following a long hospitalization in Westchester County and prior suicide attempts. He told doctors he was hearing voices commanding him to jump off a building, Sullivan said.

On Dec. 3, two Montefiore doctors described Makarov as a danger to himself and others, said the lawyer.

When Makarov’s family begged his doctors to let him spend Thanksgiving at home, they refused, Satalkina said. She was surprised two weeks later when Makarov asked to leave and was discharged on Dec. 9.

He returned to the Co-op City apartment he shared with his grandmother.

“He kept apologizing,” Satalkina said. “He told me he just wanted to find peace.”

Makarov’s doctors could have obtained a court order to keep him committed, but they didn’t, the suit claims. It also alleges the hospital failed to register Makarov under Kendra’s Law, which mandates outpatient psychiatric treatment.

Sullivan said the discharge note reads, “The paperwork for retention was not submitted in a timely fashion, resulting in the need to discharge the patient.”

On Dec. 17, Makarov went to the roof of his grandmother’s building and leapt off.

“We’re devastated,” said Satalkina.

With Sarah Armaghan