Newspaper Employee Attempts to Bomb Newspaper Office: 3 Day Withdrawal

Last paragraph reads:  “Gauthier told Judge Lori Renee Weitzman that he hadn’t taken his medication for three days prior to the incident. Gauthier has suffered from a major depression since 2002.” 

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2010/06/17/14430516.html

Bomb suspect released

By JEAN-PHILIPPE ARCAND, QMI Agency

Last Updated: June 17, 2010 7:15pm
MONTREAL – Jean-Guy Gauthier, the man that threatened to blow up the offices of the Journal de Montreal last month, was released on Thursday.

However, Gauthier will have to abide by a long list of conditions if he doesn’t want to end up back behind bars.

The 59-year-old is prohibited from being within 200 metres of the newspaper`s office on Frontenac Street in Montreal. He is also forbidden from communicating with employees of the daily newspaper without their consent.

Gauthier, a retiree who worked for the Journal`s printing facility for 30 years, caused a commotion on May 17 when he parked his vehicle – which contained two propane tanks, a lighter and a gas can – in front of the main entrance to the newspaper`s office building.

He then asked a locked-out employee protesting nearby to go get photographers because he was going to put on “a hell of a show.”

He made the same kind of remarks during a phone conversation with Lise Perron, his ex-wife and another locked-out newspaper employee, shortly before.

Police quickly intervened and Gauthier, who has no criminal record, surrendered peacefully. The propane tanks in his vehicle also turned out to be empty.

During his first court appearance, Gauthier was charged with uttering threats and possesion of incidiairy device.

Gauthier told Judge Lori Renee Weitzman that he hadn’t taken his medication for three days prior to the incident. Gauthier has suffered from a major depression since 2002.