Overdose death of toddler is 4th this year — (The Milwaukee-Wisconsin Journal-Sentinal)

SSRI Ed note: Girl, 2, dies of oxycodone, Trazodone. Father has a spill story for the painkiller but does not explain how she came to ingest the antidepressant.

To view original article click here

The Milwaukee-Wisconsin Journal-Sentinal

Jesse Garza, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

9:58 p.m. CT Oct. 23, 2016

A 17-month-old boy is the fourth child younger than 3 this year to die of a prescription drug overdose in Milwaukee County, the medical examiner’s office reported Friday.

The boy’s death occurred in Greenfield in September, according to an official at the office, who was unable to provide additional information on the death because of a non-disclosure placed on the case by the Greenfield Police Department.

The other three deaths, which occurred in the city of Milwaukee, involved a 2-year-old girl who died of an overdose of oxycodone in August; a 17-month-old boy who died of an oxycodone overdose in May; and a 1-year-old girl who died of an overdose of methadone in February, according to medical examiner’s reports.

According to the reports:

On Aug. 13, the 2-year-old girl was taken to Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin after being found unresponsive in her home in the 4600 block of N. 76th St

The girl was resuscitated after being in cardiac arrest but died on Aug. 15, one day before her third birthday.  Toxicology tests determined she died of an overdose of oxycodone and the antidepressant trazodone.

The girl’s father said her mother had been taking oxycodone for back pain and recounted an occasion where the drug was accidentally spilled on the kitchen floor. At the time he thought he picked up all of the pills but speculated that he might have missed some that the child later got a hold of.

No criminal charges were issued in connection with the girl’s death.

On May 1, the 17-month-old boy was found unresponsive by his aunt in her home in the 6600 block of N. 75th St.

The boy was pronounced dead at the scene and toxicology tests later determined that he died from an overdose of oxycodone.

The boy’s aunt had a prescription for the drug, according to the medical examiner’s report. There are no indications