Phoenix Police Chief Joe Yahner has agreed with an internal review board’s recommendation to demote a sergeant in the 2014 killing of a mentally ill woman, the department announced Friday.

The decision comes three days after the department’s Disciplinary Review Board recommended that Sgt. Percy Dupra, who fatally shot 50-year-old Michelle Cusseaux in August 2014, be demoted from his current rank. It also comes one month after the department’s Use of Force Board determined the killing fell “outside of department policy.”

Yahner, who was out of town on city business earlier in the week, had to decide whether the punishment was appropriate. On Friday, the department announced that he accepted the recommendation.

“Phoenix Police Chief Joe Yahner has reviewed the recommendation forwarded by the Disciplinary Review Board in the Michelle Cusseaux case,” according to a statement from Sgt. Trent Crump, a spokesman for the department. “The chief has accepted the board’s recommendation of demotion and the city will begin the process.”

The police department declined to provide any further information, citing Dupra’s right to appeal the decision to the city’s Civil Service Board.

The Phoenix Police Sergeants and Lieutenants Association, which is representing Dupra, could not be immediately reached for comment. After the hearing Tuesday night, the association released a statement on its website expressing disappointment with the recommendation.

Cusseaux had mental illness that her mother said included bipolar disorder, schizophrenia and depression. She also had six felony convictions, a long history of drug abuse and had reportedly threatened mental-health workers.

In August 2014, police were called to serve a court order at Cusseaux’s apartment complex in Maryvale to transport her to an inpatient mental-health-care facility.

Dupra, a 20-year veteran of the police department, told investigators he shot Cusseaux after she opened the door with a claw hammer raised above her head. She suffered a single gunshot wound to the chest and was rushed to a hospital, where she was pronounced dead.