Police officer, 49, who suffered from depression after he was kidnapped and pistol-whipped, stabbed himself to death on his second week of retirement — (Daily Mail Online)

To view original article click here

First posted on Antidepaware

Daily Mail Online

Thames Valley PC Andrew Reid found dead by his mother in pool of blood

  • Inquest hears he served force with distinction for 31 years until retirement
  • In 1995 he was kidnapped and beaten, suffering eye injury and depression
  • Coroner records suicide verdict at inquest into his death

By Martin Robinson

PUBLISHED:  16:20 GMT, 12 December 2013

Brave: Police constable Andrew Reid, 49, was kidnapped and pistol-whipped on duty but stabbed himself through the heart two weeks after retiring, an inquest heard

A policeman who was taken hostage and pistol-whipped on duty 20 years ago stabbed himself through the heart just two weeks after retirement, an inquest heard.

PC Andrew Reid’s suicide was linked to depression and came almost 20 years after he was kidnapped.

He suffered serious injuries and needed eye surgery but still completed 31 years of distinguished service with Thames Valley Police.

But two weeks after his retirement he was found lying in a pool of blood, having stabbed himself four times, once in the heart.

The coroner heard that Pc Reid had suffered ‘psychological and physical injuries’ by having to undergo surgery to his damaged right eye after being pistol-whipped in 1995.

The 49-year-old was found dead his shocked mother Yolanda in the home they shared together in May.

The former Thames Valley Police officer, based in Oxford, had inflicted the stab wounds with a kitchen knife and was pronounced dead at the scene.

No suicide note was ever found, the hearing was told.

Pathologist Dr Nicholas Hunt took the coroner through his understanding of the background to the case at the inquest in Oxford.

‘Before carrying out the post-mortem examination I was given information on the background from the police,’ he said.

‘At 8.14am on May 21, Yolanda Reid, aged 75 years, had called both 999 and her GP surgery,’ he said.

‘During the call to the GP surgery she said her son was laying in a pool of blood and asked what she should do.

‘Paramedics were shown into a utility area near the kitchen. He was found on his right side with his knees in a bent position.

‘There was a large amount of blood on the floor and blood staining on the wall. The rear door was secured and there was no sign of forced entry.

‘Inquires at his GP surgery showed he may have suffered depression after an incident when he was taken hostage while on duty in 1995. He had been taken anti-depressant drugs for some time.’

 Dr Hunt added: ‘The injuries were in two groups. Firstly the injuries caused by a sharp object and secondly the blunt injuries.

‘There were four stab injuries. One penetrated the heart. The other the aorta. Three were deep, one was superficial.

‘There were also 12 pin-prick stab injuries.

Tragedy: PC Reid was found dead by his mother, having stabbed himself through the heart after suffering depression

‘He died as a result of stab wounds. Whilst there were injuries entirely consistent with self-infliction.’

Detective Sergeant Simon Hannam, an officer involved in the case, attended the death scene.

In a statement to the inquest he said: ‘When I arrived I could see no signs of a disturbance. The deceased was lying on his side with his feet towards the kitchen door and there was a large amount of blood in the area of the floor.

‘His clothes were heavily bloodstained.

‘He was dressed like he was going for a run or a cycle ride. There was no sign of blood in the rear garden.

‘There was no evidence of any third party involvement.’

Det. Sgt. Hannam added: ‘He was a serving police officer until he retired two weeks ago of 31 years service.

‘On February 6 1995 he was a victim of a hostage situation in which he was pistol-whipped and received physical and psychological injuries.

‘His GP Dr Mervin Dunlop spoke of him having depression for more 20 years, which ties into the 1995 incident.

‘He was taken to hospital in relation to that incident.

‘He suffered severe swelling to his right eye, which required surgery.

‘In April of that year a meeting was arranged with PC Reid for the person invoilved wanting to apologise. This meeting was refused.’

Assistant Oxfordshire Coroner Nick Graham said: ‘The report shows some very brave actions of Mr Reid, who was carrying out his duty.’

The coroner ruled that Mr Reid, of Headington, Oxford, who was never married and had no children, died as a result of a suicide on May 21, 2013.

Recording his verdict, the coroner said: ‘On the basis of the evidence I have heard I feel that I can reach a conclusion that Mr Reid took his own life given the nature of the injuries, the lack of any third party involvement, no foul play and a history of depression.’

His family declined to comment after the hearing.