‘Promising’ student died from antidepressant overdose after recording emotional videos about her boyfriend — (The Mirror)

SSRI Ed note: Pharmacy student, 18, taking antidepressants has history of suicidality, commits suicide by overdose.

To view original article click here

The Mirror

Bruce Thain

Eighteen-year-old Ezgi Serce, who was studying at Kingston University in Surrey, was found dead at the house she shared with other students

A university student died taking an overdose of antidepressants after recording emotional videos on her laptop about her boyfriend, an inquest heard.

Ezgi Serce, a first year pharmaceutical student at Kingston University in Surrey, was found dead in her shared student house.

The 18-year-old had overdosed on an antidepressant, a hearing was told at West London Coroner’s Court today.

Her family became concerned for her well-being when her cousin said she was “upset” the day before her death in January this year.

Her family went to the shared house in New Malden, south west London, from their home in Hackney before police entered her room.

They found her lifeless on the floor wearing a grey onesie.

An ambulance was called, but paramedics pronounced her dead at the scene.

Police officers searched her room and found a laptop, on which were three videos made using a web-cam the previous evening.

In one of the short videos Ms Serce was visibly angry and upset.

She was talking and shouting in Turkish and English about her relationship with her boyfriend.

In another video she was heard speaking in Turkish again about someone else who she wanted to call.

However she said she knew they wouldn’t pick up.

A third video found on her laptop saw her refer to her relationship and that she was “very upset”.

She added that her boyfriend “should go and be happy with anyone he likes.”

Her last words heard in the video were “f*** this, f*** this”.

PC Richard Borries, who examined the video, told the inquest that they heard a “popping” noise in the background which was similar to the sound of pills being removed from packaging.

Evidence from her medical history revealed she had been in therapy sessions with her family on several occasions.

The inquest also heard she had suffered several failed pregnancies.

Tributes were paid to the daughter of businessman İsmet Serce at her funeral at the Alevi Cultural Centre in Dalston, east London. Other family members attended from Germany, France, Switzerland and the Netherlands.

Turkey’s Consul General in London Emirhan Yorulmazlar was among those paying his condolences at the packed service.

West London Coroner Chinyere Inyama said: “It is quite clear to me from these details, by her taking the medication to excess, there was an intention and it is quite clear she had concerns in her life and stresses in her life.

“Just before she did this act she made videos, found on her laptop, concerning her boyfriend.”

He also noted that she had previously tried to take her own life “using the same medication before” and there was no third party involvement.

The coroner added: “I am satisfied to the point I can be sure that she died as a result of suicide.”

None of Ezgi’s family were present at the inquest.