Suspect in violent standoff previously threatened to leave wife ‘black and blue,’ records show — (San Antonio Express-News)

To view original article click here

San Antonio Express-News

By Fares Sabawi

Updated 10:42 am CDT, Monday, May 6, 2019

Firefighters work to control a fire at 200 Beldon Avenue involving SWAT team members on April 16, 2019. Photo: Tom Reel, Staff / Staff Photographer / 2019 SAN ANTONIO EXPRESS-NEWS

Photo: Tom Reel, Staff / Staff Photographer

Firefighters work to control a fire at 200 Beldon Avenue involving SWAT team members on April 16, 2019.

The 57-year-old man accused of killing his neighbor, severely beating his wife and setting fire to his house in April has a history of violence, police records show.

San Antonio police responded to a call on April 16 at the home of William H. Osborne in the 200 block of Belden Avenue after his wife allegedly escaped the home with severe facial injuries in an attempt to seek help.

Osborne allegedly shot at her with a rifle as she ran but struck and killed his 60-year-old neighbor, Lee Roy Bachmeyer Jr., who went outside his home to see what was happening, police said.

Osborne allegedly set fire to his home before police arrived and kept shooting from his porch. SWAT officers eventually shot at Osborne, who they later found dead. It was later determined that Osborne fatally shot himself, officials with the Bexar County Medical Examiner’s Office said Monday.

A police report detailing Osborne’s domestic violence arrest months earlier on Aug. 5, 2018, paints a grim picture of his relationship with his then common-law wife. The two got married later that year, court records showed.

On that night, Osborne allegedly wrecked his car, which had to be towed. His wife told police he walked home with his AR-15 rifle in its case.

When he returned home, he allegedly told her it was her fault the car was towed and threw his rifle case at her, which caused her nose to bleed.

Osborne then grabbed a stool and swung it at her, hitting her once, according to the police report.

The woman told police she reached for a can of mace that she keeps by her bed. Osborne allegedly told her he’d leave her “black and blue” if she sprayed him, and the two struggled for the can until they eventually rolled off the bed and onto the ground.

The woman escaped the home and ran to a neighbor’s house to get help and call police, according to the report.

Police noted she had visible injuries to her face, including a chipped tooth and bleeding from her nose and mouth.

The woman told police she thought Osborne was under the influence of Xanax and that he had a substance abuse issue.

Osborne didn’t appear to disagree, according to the police report. When police interviewed him, he said they usually argue about his drug habits.

Osborne also told police she purchased mace because “she was tired of (him) assaulting her,” though he denied that he ever hit her.

Police arrested him that night on suspicion of assault family violence and applied for an emergency protective order for his wife. Osborne posted his bail and the criminal case against him was pending at the time of the standoff.

McManus said police had been called to the home at least six times in the past several months for other disturbances and domestic issues. At the time of this story those records have not yet been released to the San Antonio Express-News.