Testimony continues in Eliaderani murder trial — (SCNow.com)

To view original article click here


Thursday, March 4, 2010 7:18 pm

CONWAY — After a one-day break, testimony continues Thursday in the trial of 55-year-old Asghar Eliaderani, who is accused of suffocating his wife at their Socastee convenience store.


Horry County police responded to the Socastee Mini-Mart, located at 8545 S.C. 544, after the couple’s teenage daughter called dispatchers for help.

Horry County Police Officer Alex Smith, who responded to the scene first, was the state’s first witness of the day Thursday.

Smith said Eliaderani walked out of the store with blood covering his shirt and a cut on his left arm.

He told me, ‘My wife put Prozac in my coffee to poison me and then she stabbed me,’” Smith testified.

Once inside, investigators said they found Farrah Abbasi lying bleeding and unconscious behind the counter.

Her 17-year-old daughter, Tina Abbasi, testified Tuesday and described a tumultuous relationship between her parents.

“I have never heard him like this,” Tina Abbasi said of speaking with her father before she called 911 the day of the incident. “I’ve heard him angry, but never in my life heard him like this. He was hysterical.”

Prosecutors showed the jury dash-cam video footage from the night of the incident in which Eliaderani is seen pacing back and forth looking frazzled and confused.

Fifteenth Judicial Circuit Court Judge Larry Hyman granted Eliaderani a $500,000 bond a few months after his arrest.

Eliaderani was ordered to wear a global positioning system (GPS) monitoring device and not to make any contact with his children. He also was ordered to surrender his passports and not to leave Horry County.

“I don’t hate him,” Tina Abbasi said of her father Tuesday, “but I hate what he did to my mother, what he did to my brother.”

That same morning, 15th Circuit Assistant Solicitor Brad Richardson gave his opening statements.

“This is a murder,” he said. “She (Farrah Abbasi) wanted to make her own money and he (Eliaderani) would not allow it.

“And then he (Eliaderani) takes us through the next two years with (an) increasing number of late-night screaming matches where the defendant would wake up and go the mother’s door and (shout) ‘Get up!’” Richardson said, banging his hand on a hard surface for emphasis.

In his opening statements, Eliaderani’s attorney, Russell Long, described his client as a family man.

“Asghar would do any and every single thing he could do for his family. That’s not just his children,” Long said “But that is his wife and he loved her dearly. He is broken up and saddened and ruined today.”

Count on News13 and scnow.com for continuing coverage of this trial.

© 2015 SCNow. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.