Two Missing Women Found Dead in Motel — (The New York Times)

SSRI Ed note: Depressed mother and her daughter die in suicide pact by overdose in hotel.

To view original article click here  

The New York Times

A mother and daughter from Queens who were reported missing on Sunday have been found dead in a Long Island motel, the Nassau County police said. The deaths of the mother, Judith Weiner, 60, and her daughter, Jessie, 23, appeared to be from overdoses of prescription medicine in a double suicide, Detective Lt. Dennis Farrell of the Nassau Police Department said.

Mrs. Weiner and her daughter were last seen on Sunday, driving away from their garden apartment in Little Neck, Queens, the police said. About six miles away, in Nassau County, the two checked into a motel using a credit card, the police said. The credit card charge led New York City detectives to the Royal Inn Motel in Manhasset, where the women were found dead in a room on Tuesday morning, Lieutenant Farrell said.

”It appears that both women died as a result of a drug overdose,” he said. ”It’s unlikely that it was accidental because there are two victims.”

Inside the room, the police said, they found prescription medication, which they declined to identify, but no note.

The women lived on 58th Avenue, near Little Neck Parkway, along with Mrs. Weiner’s husband, Barry. No one answered the door there on Wednesday. One neighbor, Laura Napoleon, a retired credit manager, said, ”I feel sick about this whole thing.” She had learned from a neighbor that the women were missing. Mr. and Mrs. Weiner, she said, were affable people, and Jessie was their only child. But Ms. Napoleon said she was not surprised to learn of their deaths.

Mrs. Weiner, who was a retired public-school teacher, suffered from kidney problems and had been having dialysis three times a week, Ms. Napoleon said. Mrs. Weiner had confided that her daughter, who was a college student, suffered from depression and was having trouble adjusting to school, Ms. Napoleon said.

”When I found out that they were missing, I had a bad feeling,” she said. ”I had a bad feeling because she was tied into dialysis. I knew they didn’t go away.”