Quebec coroner wants cough syrup behind counter— (CBC News)

To view original article click here

CBC News

March 5, 2012

The provincial government should require cough medicine containing dextromethorphan behind pharmacists’ counters (sic).

The request follows the deaths of two Quebec men who took cough syrup and failed to follow instructions on the product label.

Yvon Boucher, 64, and Marcel D’Amour, 65, died within a month of each other in the spring of 2011, both as a result of accidental poisoning with dextromethorphan (DM) a cough suppressant commonly found in over-the-counter cold remedies.

Coroner Pierre Guilmette investigated the case of Boucher, who died April 7, 2011 – three days after his family doctor advised him to continue taking cough syrup and prescribed him a 15-day course of the antibiotic Biaxin for a nagging case of bronchitis.

A deadly combination

Boucher had bipolar disorder and was also taking the antidepressant Prozac.  Guilmette concluded the combination of the three drugs – Prozac, Biaxin and dextromethorphan – proved lethal.

Canadians fill 25 million prescriptions a year for Prozac and other antidepressants in the same chemical family, the coroner pointed out, and Biaxin is a common treatment for respiratory tract infections.The popularity of those drugs combined with the easy access to off-the-shelf cough medications containing dextromethorphan constitute a danger to public safety, he said.

In D’Amour’s case, coroner Andrée Kronstrom concluded the man died of an overdose of the cough suppressant, having failed to consult a doctor for his flu symptoms.

“The blood sample is very clear,” Kronstrom said of the toxic level of dextromethorphan she found.

Cough medications containing DM should be controlled by a pharmacist who can counsel consumers on how to use it properly and warn of its interaction with other medication, Kronstrom said.

“The pharmacist should speak to each person [who asks for a cough suppressant] and provide advice,” Kronstrom said.

The coroner’s office said a public awareness campaign is necessary to warn consumers of the dangers posed by over-the-counter cough medicines and other readily available remedies for cold and flu symptoms.

It said between 2000 and 2009, 20 people in Quebec died of accidental poisoning from medications including cough suppressants, acetaminophen (found in Tylenol and its generic equivalents) and acetylsalicylic acid (found in Aspirin and similar drugs).

The coroners have recommended that Quebec’s Order of Pharmacists ask its members to take dextromorphan off their shelves and put it behind their counters voluntarily, before a change in provincial legislation makes it mandatory.

Pharmacists study question

However, the group has not decided whether to endorse that recommendation, saying it’s important not to restrict consumers’  choices.

“It’s a question of access — a lot of people need these kind of cough syrups,” said president Diane Lamarre, adding  problems such as those that caused the deaths of Boucher and D’Amour are relatively rare.

Lamarre and other health officials concur on one point: Whether a drug is sold off the shelf or from behind the counter, it’s important to follow the warnings and instructions on the label.

 

To view original article click here

Attention aux sirops contre la toux et autres médicaments en vente libre

Bureau du Coroner Québec

02 mars 2012

Le Bureau du coroner présente les conclusions des rapports des coroners, Dr Pierre Guilmette et Me Andrée Kronström, à la suite de leurs investigations portant sur les décès de MM. Yvon Boucher, 64 ans, et Marcel D’Amour, 65 ans, respectivement survenus les 7 avril et 5 mai 2011. Tous deux sont décédés à la suite d’une intoxication accidentelle au dextrométhorphane, une substance contenue entre autres dans les sirops contre la toux. Exposé des faits Le décès de M. Yvon Boucher M. Boucher souffrait de maladie bipolaire et prenait une lourde médication, notamment du Prozac. Le 4 avril 2011, il consulte son médecin de famille pour un état grippal qui dure depuis 15 jours. Le médecin diagnostique une bronchite et lui prescrit du Biaxin pendant 15 jours. La note médicale stipule également de « continuer sirop ». Trois jours plus tard, M. Boucher est trouvé décédé à son domicile. Deux flacons de sirops commerciaux contenant du dextrométhorphane ont aussi été retrouvés. Plusieurs sirops antitussifs communément vendus en pharmacie contiennent du dextrométhorphane. Or, explique le coroner, la combinaison des médicaments Prozac, Biaxin et dextrométhorphane est très dangereuse, voire contre-indiquée puisqu’elle peut causer un désordre chimique potentiellement mortel. M. Boucher ayant acheté son Biaxin dans une pharmacie autre que celle où il avait son dossier régulier, le pharmacien ne s’est pas attardé aux interactions possibles entre les produits. Sachant qu’il y a bon an mal an 25 millions de prescriptions d’antidépresseurs de la même famille chimique que le Prozac au Canada[1] et que le Biaxin est très prisé pour le traitement des infections des voies respiratoires, Dr Guilmette considère que le dextrométhorphane disponible sans limites sur les tablettes constitue un danger pour la sécurité du public. Le décès de M. Marcel D’Amour M. D’Amour est secoué par de fortes quintes de toux. Rien n’indique qu’il a consulté un professionnel de la santé pour son état grippal. Il est découvert sans vie par une connaissance inquiète de ne pas avoir de nouvelles de lui. Les analyses toxicologiques ont révélé la présence de dextrométhorphane à une concentration supérieure au seuil toxique dans l’organisme de la victime. Cette substance se trouvant principalement dans les sirops contre la toux, la coroner comprend que M. D’Amour a probablement acheté un tel sirop sans obtenir les conseils du pharmacien et qu’il a possiblement forcé la dose, faisant fi des indications générales inscrites sur le contenant du produit. Elle croit donc qu’il serait approprié que ces médicaments soient placés sous la surveillance du pharmacien, qui pourrait ainsi annoter le dossier du patient et lui prodiguer les conseils appropriés concernant les possibles surdoses et les interactions avec d’autres médicaments. Prudence avec les médicaments en vente libre! Entre 2000 et 2009[2], 20 décès ont été causés par une intoxication involontaire à des médicaments en vente libre, soit les antitussifs (notamment le dextrométhorphane), l’acétaminophène (contenue dans le Tylenol) et l’acide acétylsalicylique (contenue dans l’Aspirine et produits semblables). N’importe qui peut se procurer tous ces produits à sa guise sans rencontrer un pharmacien ou un médecin et peut ignorer sciemment ou non la posologie suggérée sur le contenant. En pleine saison hivernale, il est d’autant plus important de sensibiliser la population aux dangers liés à la consommation abusive des sirops contre la toux et autres produits pour atténuer les symptômes du rhume et de la grippe.