Borough man held on multiple charges after Thursday’s car chase — (The Phoenix Reporter and Item)

SSRI Ed note: Man prescribed Elavil and Lexapro, hooked on OxyContin, embarks on crime spree with assault, car chase, robbery etc. Incarceration certain, bail denied.

Original article no longer available

The Phoenix Reporter and Item

July 2, 2005

PHOENIXVILLE – Facing a laundry list of charges after allegedly overpowering two constables and leading police on a high-speed chase Thursday, Chad Daher Myers was refused bail during his arraignment Friday morning in district court.

Myers, 26, is charged with multiple counts of criminal homicide; aggravated assault; simple assault; recklessly endangering another person; assault by prisoner; terroristic threats; escape; robbery; theft; robbery of motor vehicle; possessing instruments of crime; fleeing or attempting to elude police officer; and firearms not to be carried without a license.

The charges stem from an incident that occurred after a preliminary hearing Thursday morning at District Court in Phoenixville. Myers was being transported by two veteran constables, Bill Quain and Margaret Scarfo, to the Schuylkill Township Police Department for live-scan processing around 11:38 a.m.

According to Chester County Detective Kevin Dykes, Myers was in the back seat of Quain’s green Honda Accord, and was handcuffed with a restraint belt around his waist and shackles on his ankles.

“The seatbelt was placed on Myers and the child-restraint doorlocks were activated,” said Dykes.

The Accord, with no cage between the front and rear seats, began to cross over the Pickering Creek Bridge when Myers lunged towards the front seat of the vehicle, between the two bucket seats, and forcibly grabbed Quain’s gun, a .40 caliber Glock semi-automatic weapon, according to police.

Detectives said Myers assaulted the two constables, and escaped from a rear passenger side window. During the course of the assault, Myers fired at least five shots in the direction of both constables while they were inside the vehicle, and the shots shattered the windows of the vehicle, said Dykes.

Once outside the vehicle, Dykes said, Myers struck Quain multiple times in the face with the gun, and kept threatening to shoot both constables.

Myers then approached the driver of a black Jeep Wrangler, pointed the gun at the driver’s face, and ordered him out of the vehicle or he’d shoot, said Dykes.

While Myers was in the Wrangler, he put the Wrangler in reverse and allegedly attempted to back over Quain.

Placing the vehicle back into drive, Myers struck a white Cowan Olds-Cadillac-GMC courtesy van as he attempted to leave the scene, police say.

Several witnesses and one of the constables contacted 911 Emergency Services, and officers from the surrounding area responded to the scene.

While still handcuffed, Myers traveled at high speeds for several miles toward Route 76 with numerous police officers following him. Myers refused to pull the vehicle over or comply with the officers’ demands for him to stop, said Dykes.

Myers was apprehended by Lower Merion Township Police in front of the Great American Pub, Narberth and Haverford Avenues, Narberth. Authorities say Myers crashed into a police car, and then after backing up into a Budweiser beer truck, was pinned in and quickly taken into custody.

Myers was transported to Lankenau Hospital for treatment of minor injuries and was released to Lower Merion Police until he was transported to Schuylkill Township Police Station Friday morning.

Both constables were taken to Phoenixville Hospital via West End Ambulance for their injuries, which included cuts, contusions and muscle pain. Quain required stitches, and both he and Scarfo were treated and released.

Less than 24 hours after his last appearance at district court, Myers was escorted into the building by Chester County Detectives and officers from Schuylkill Township and Phoenixville around 9:30 a.m. Friday morning.

Adorned in hospital garb, he was led into a holding cell and given a list of his charges prior to the arraignment.

Surrounded by law enforcement officials, Myers was brought into the courtroom and seated at the defense table. District Justice Ted Michaels asked Myers if he read the list of charges and understood them, to which Myers softly replied, “Yes.”

When asked about his current residence, Myers told Michaels that he was living with his parents at their residence on the 1st block of South Forge Manor Drive, Phoenixville, for one year.

Michaels asked Myers about his current marital status, and Myers said that he is currently going through a divorce and that he isn’t on probation or parole.

When asked about any mental health issues or dependencies, Myers said that in November 2004, he’d been seeing a psychiatrist, and received treatment for depression. He said he was taking antidepressants Lexapro and Elavil, and admitted to Michaels that he has a dependency on OxyContin, a prescription painkiller.

Michaels noted that Myers had several cuts on his arms, along with a suture on the top of his head, and that he’d been treated and released from Lankenau Hospital Thursday afternoon.

Prior to making his decision on Myers’ bail, Michaels said to him, “These are very serious charges,” then quoted Pennsylvania Code Rule 520, “No condition or combination of conditions other than imprisonment will reasonably assure the safety of any person and the community when the proof is evident or presumption great.”

With that being said, Michaels refused bail to Myers, and asked him if he wanted to make a phone call, to which Myers replied, “Yes, to my parents.”

After tearfully speaking to his parents on the phone outside of the court’s holding cell, Myers was led outside the building and remanded to Chester County Prison.

His next court appearance is scheduled for Thursday, July 7, 2005 at 9 a.m.