Jilted lover’s attack fury — (The Hartlepool Mail)

SSRI Ed note: Woman oin antidepressants, thrown out of house by former lover, drinks, assaults new tenant wrongly thinking she is her replacement.

Original article no longer available

The Hartlepool Mail

Published Date: 11 February 2009   Last Updated: 12 February 2009 9:59 AM

Mark Thompson

A LOVE-SCORNED yob smashed an innocent woman’s head repeatedly off a concrete pavement after mistakenly thinking she was her ex’s new partner.

Only five hours after moving into her new home, Samantha Stobbs answered her front door and was set upon by raging Amanda Dickinson.

The 36-year-old wrongly thought Ms Stobbs was “her replacement” and could not control her jealousy as she grabbed the confused woman by the hair and slammed her head on the floor, a court heard.

Dickinson pleaded guilty at Hartlepool Magistrates’ Court to assault by beating and assaulting a PC on September 30, last year, but walked free from court after she was slapped with a £210 court bill.

A crowd gathered in St Oswald’s Street, Hartlepool, as the jilted lover straddled Ms Stobbs, who did not know her attacker, and repeatedly crashed her head against the concrete.

Dickinson had lived in the same house with her partner before they split and did not realise he had moved out when she left Ms Stobbs with swelling to her head at 8pm on September 3 – only five hours after she moved in at 3pm.

Magistrates heard she also injured a police officer’s leg as she was arrested.

Catherine Reeve, prosecuting, said: “She dragged the victim by the hair and both ended up outside the property.

“The victim tripped over, fell onto the concrete floor and managed to break free, but the defendant grabbed her again and pulled her down.

“As she laid on her back the defendant straddled on top of her and started banging her head on the concrete pavement.

“She had only just moved into the house that afternoon and had no idea what was going on.”

John Relton, mitigating, said his client had taken the break-up of her relationship extremely badly and was drinking while on medication for depression when the attack happened.

He said: “They were living in this house and somewhat unannounced he asks her to leave.

“She wrongly saw this woman as her replacement in the house, she should never have been the target of this attack.

“This is something she severely regrets.”

Chairman of the magistrates’ bench Patricia Hutchinson, gave Dickinson, who now lives in Beech Avenue, Redcar, a £65 fine.

She was also ordered to pay compensation of £50 to Mrs Stobbs and £20 to the police officer, court costs of £60 and a £15 victim surcharge.