A 19-YEAR-OLD female football referee died after choking on her vomit following an accidental overdose, an inquest has heard.
Liboria Risveglia – known as Libby – was found unconscious in bed by her mother in March after taking fatal levels of the anti-depressant drug Mirtazapine.
Coroner Dr Andrew Reid told St Pancras Coroner’s Court that expert evidence showed Mirtazapine was regarded as a safe drug with only one previous fatality linked to it. He said the primary cause of Ms Risveglia’s death was choking.
Dr Reid recorded a verdict of misadventure, describing the death as an “accidental overdose”. He said there was “not sufficient evidence” for him to be sure Miss Risveglia, of Dartmouth Park Hill, Tufnell Park, “intended to end her own life”.
In the days before her death she had been suffering from gastroenteritis and was treated at University College London Hospital twice.
The Westminster Kingsway College music student had struggled with depression for years and had recently opted to switch to a different anti-depressant.
Her social worker Caroline Spencer said: “I don’t think she intended to kill herself; she’d made such concrete plans and arranged meetings that week. If anything it was accidental.”
Her parents, Emilia and Tony, paid tribute to their “loveable” daughter who “never said no to anyone” and had a passion for football.
At one time Ms Risveglia was the only female referee in the Camden and Islington Youth League.