To view original article click here
Southern Daily Echo
By Hannah White
Friday, 20 April 2012
A RECOVERING drug addict died after accidentally overdosing on antidepressants, an inquest heard. Holly Williams, 36, was found dead in the bedroom of her flat in Gainsborough Close, Salisbury, on September 9 last year.
An inquest held at Salisbury Coroners Court on Wednesday heard Miss Williams was beating an addiction to heroin and amphetamines and doing well on a methadone programme.
She was taking anti-addiction medication as well as antidepressants.
The coroner heard that she was disorganized about taking her medication and she went from collecting her prescription every four weeks, to fortnightly and then weekly, at her request.
Her family and friends said she was often confused about when to take her medication and she had a history of accidental overdoses. In the week before Miss Williams died, her friend, Alexander Couhlan, had been staying at her flat.
The inquest heard the pair met when they were both patients at the Old Manor Hospital in Salisbury and had known each other for about nine years.
In the early hours of September 9, Miss Williams woke up Mr Couhlan to tell him she was having trouble sleeping.
He said he would stay awake until she could sleep but Miss Williams went back to her room.
Mr Couhlan left the flat at about 11am and assumed Miss Williams was still asleep but when he came back in the afternoon, he found her dead.
A toxicology report showed she had taken a fatal dose of an antidepressant drug.
David Ridley, coroner for Wiltshire and Swindon, said Miss Williams was “a young lady who was clearly trying to battle her demons, drug addiction and other problems in her life”.
“She took that excessive amount to try and help her to get to sleep and she died as a consequence of that deliberate act,” he said.
Mr Ridley said there was no evidence to suggest she had deliberately taken her own life.
Verdict: accidental death.