Alcohol led to woman’s tragic death — (The Swindon Advertiser)

SSRI Ed note: Woman, 33, loses her boyfriend, takes antidepressants and literally drinks herself to death.

To view original article click here

The Swindon Advertiser

By Stephanie Tye

12:52pm Thursday 25th January 2007

AN inquest has heard that a woman died after consuming enough alcohol to shut down her internal organs.

Jannanee Muniandy, of St Mary’s Close, Lyneham, died at home in the bath on February 26 last year, aged 33.  Post-mortem tests revealed that she had 453 milligrams of alcohol per decilitre of blood.

Any amounts over 330 milligrams of alcohol per decilitre of blood can prove fatal.

The inquest heard that Jannanee was a well-liked person, who worked as an international relocation officer at Cendant Mobility, in Blagrove, Swindon.
She was born in Singapore and moved to Wiltshire when she was three after her father Andy was stationed at RAF Lyneham.

She learned Indian classical dance as a young girl during a six-month period in Madras, India, and accompanied her mother on stage in one of the music academies in Madras where she won the hearts of the audiences.

As previously reported, her younger sister Kavitha Muniandy described her as “Wiltshire’s answer to J-Lo.”  “My sister had the most amazing eyes. She always had the best of everything,” she said at the time of her death.

In a statement to the inquest, Jannanee’s mother Lalitha said her daughter became involved in a relationship in 1999, which lasted three years.

The couple had talked about marriage and he had asked her to move to America where he was working. But the inquest heard that she was reluctant to leave her mother, who was going through a divorce.

Jannanee later discovered that her partner had started dating another woman in America, who he subsequently married.

Her mother said her daughter was devastated and began taking anti-depressants.

Kavitha told the hearing that she did not come across as the type of person who needed medication.

In 2002 the family started to find empty alcohol bottles in Jannanee’s bedroom.

On the day of her death police officers found nine differently branded bottles of vodka in her bedroom.

The first officer on the scene also reported a strong smell of Bacardi or vodka.

Coroner Peter Hatvany said the cause of death was alcohol toxicity, but he did not believe Jannanee meant to kill herself.

“It was more a case of reckless abandonment with no regard for the consequences of her actions,” he said.

He recorded a verdict of accidental death.