Inquest told Flintshire woman left suicide note in a drawer — (The Wrexham Flintshire Leader)

SSRI Ed note: Woman takes antidepressants for 11 years, remains depressed, hangs herself while on high dose of Remeron / Mirtazapine.

To view original article click here

The Wrexham Flintshire Leader

Published date: 17 September 2010

Published by: Staff reporter

A Former post office worker from Hawarden hanged herself in her garage, an inquest heard.

Retired Gwyneth Jackson, 68, of Wood Lane, had been suffering from depression when she took her own life.

The mother-of-two, who once worked as a counter clerk in Mold, Chester and Ewloe post offices, died on May 30.

Husband Ernest Jackson told Flint Magistrates’ Court: “Gwyneth loved going to chapel and would assist in charity work at local hospitals.

“She had a busy social life and enjoyed holidays and travelling. She was a confident lady and very proud.”

Mrs Jackson caught impetigo when she was 17 and became obsessed with cleanliness as a result, the inquest heard.

She suffered for 30 years from low moods and would leave the house and come back an hour later when she was in a different frame of mind.

She was being treated for depression for 11 years before her death.

Mr Jackson said: “She was concerned about me dying before her. She said she wouldn’t be able to cope if I went before her.

“She was a very proud lady and didn’t like the idea of being referred to a mental health unit.

“In May we visited her sister in Connah’s Quay. At the house I found a cotton belt in her pocket. I asked her why she had the belt and she said she didn’t know.

“I became worried then that she would self-harm.”

On the morning of her death, Mrs Jackson insisted that her husband watch the football on the television while she stayed in bed.

Mr Jackson went to check on his wife a while later but was not in her bed and nowhere to be seen in the house.

On checking the garage, he found that it was bolted from the inside.

He found his way in through another entrance to find Mrs Jackson hanging from a shelf support with his dressing gown tie.

A post-mortem examination ruled that she died from asphyxia from hanging.

Toxicology tests revealed that she had a high level of the anti-depressant mirtazapine in her system. The mother had left a suicide letter in a cabinet drawer.

Recording a verdict of suicide, coroner for North East Wales John Hughes said: “I want to tell you how desperately sad I was to hear of your tragedy.”