Depressed woman died from cocktail of drugs
11:00am Friday 4th December 2009
A woman who was suffering from depression died after taking a cocktail of prescription drugs, an inquest heard.
Bolton Coroner’s Court heard that Samantha Andrews, aged 32, of Harpford Close, Breightmet, died after taking drugs including sleeping tablets, anti-depressants and anti-hystamines.
But Assistant Deputy Coroner Peter Watson said there was insufficient evidence to prove that Miss Andrews committed suicide and recorded an open verdict.
The inquest heard that Miss Andrews, who had trained as a nurse, had previously twice taken overdoses but told doctors that these were a cry for help.
She was found unconscious in her bed by her partner, Philip Brockbank, on March 2 and taken for treatment at the Royal Bolton Hospital, before being transferred to a hospital in Wigan where she died on March 5.
The cause of death was brain death due to lack of oxygen, caused by the overdose.
Mr Watson said: “She was still a young woman who clearly had talent but had troubles in her life.”